Coronavirus: Latest Advice
Customer advice regarding the Coronavirus
Last updated: 30/03/20
At this time when the news is dominated by Coronavirus, we wanted to let you know that we are vigilantly implementing enhanced protocols to ensure your safety, as well as flexibility of your rental bookings.
The safety of our customers and staff is of paramount importance to us and we are closely monitoring the news, information, advice and guidance from the World Health Organisation and local authorities regarding the spread of the Coronavirus. Our focus is to ensure we meet customer needs while doing our part to keep you and our employees safe.
Are all your rental stations in the United Kingdom open?
As part of the global efforts to help contain the spread of the Coronavirus, recent government measures may have led to us closing some of our rental stations. In the unlikely event a rental station closes during your booking, you will be contacted by the team to make suitable arrangements.
An update on our rental stations
What should I do if I have already made a booking, but it’s impacted by the Coronavirus?
If you have already made a booking, but it is impacted by a quarantine measure or other travel restrictions due to the Coronavirus, this booking can be cancelled as outlined below:
- Cancellation fees for any Pay on Collection (Pay Later) customers impacted by Coronavirus-related travel bans, will be waivered
- Cancellation fees for any Pay Online (Pre-Pay) rental customers impacted by Coronavirus-related travel bans, will be waivered
For any customers who have booked through a third-party broker or website, please contact them directly for further guidance should your travel be disrupted.
What about bookings not directly impacted by Coronavirus restrictions?
For increased flexibility on all bookings, you can change or cancel, without fees, any reservations in Europe for rentals due to start before 1st May.
For bookings which start after this time, there will not be any penalties for changes made up to 72 hours before the start of your rental.
How should I contact you regarding a new or existing booking?
As part of the global efforts to help contain the spread of the Coronavirus, recent government measures may have an impact on our ability to service calls to our reservations centre. If you are making a reservation, you can do so on this website or by using our app.
To amend or cancel an existing booking:
- If your booking is for a rental in Europe starting before 1st May you can manage your booking on this website.
- If your booking is outside Europe, starts before the 1st May and is directly impacted by a travel restriction please contact our customer services team.
- Given the exceptional volume of enquiries we are receiving, we would only recommend contacting us regarding any rentals starting before 1st May.
- If your booking is for a rental starting in May or later you can manage your booking on this website.
All our teams thank you for your understanding and patience.
Is Avis taking any additional precautions to help reduce the spread of the Coronavirus?
We are closely monitoring the information shared by the World Health Organization concerning advice on how to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.
To help protect our staff and customers we are encouraging regular hand washing, and the use of hand sanitizer, where available. We’ve also enhanced the already robust cleaning techniques of our vehicles after each rental. In particular, we are paying special attention to the places people touch such as steering wheels, door handles and other hard surfaces.
We advise all our customers to keep updated on the latest developments from the World Health Organisation and the UK’s Foreign & Commonwealth Office.